This example came to the UK in 1999, being purchased in South Africa and imported by the first UK registered owner a Mr. Adrian McCrory. He spent a large sum of money on the car at Autodelta to prepare her for use, but covered no more than 1000 or so miles before a head gasket leak sidelined her. She then sat in his garage until he offered me the car in 2007. I jumped at the chance to own such a special car and over the next couple of years stripped both cylinder heads down, rebuilt them and began a lengthy detailing process of the engine bay. Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances I had to sell her in 2010 to her current owner, who commissioned me to complete the job I had started and prepare her for the road again. At this time the following works were carried out:
1. Top end rebuild complete with new C&B fast road camshafts.
2. New water pump.
3. NOS hydraulic cam belt tensioner from my own stock.
4. CSC tubular exhaust manifolds, straight through centre section and standard spec rear silencer. This set up gives a lovely crisp rasp to the exhaust note.
5. Major service including all filters and fluids.
6. 2x new rear brake callipers.
7. Braided stainless steel brake hoses fitted all around.
8. New clutch slave and master cylinders.
9. New brake master cylinder.
10. New propshaft donuts.
11. New gearbox mounts.
12. Wrap around aluminium front wheel arch liners.
13. New cooling system hoses.
Following a year of getting to know his ‘new’ car Mr. Allen returned her to AJM in the Spring of 2011 for a programme of further work to upgrade and rebuild a number of areas of the car. This work comprised the following:
1. Strip down of complete front suspension & replace top & bottom ball joints.
2. Strip caster rods, lubricate and fit 105 series ball joints.
3. Reset front ride height on the torsion bars.
4. Fit a complete RS Racing handling kit and 30mm front anti-roll bar (Please note that all the original suspension components are with the car should the new owner wish to return it to standard at any point).
5. Supply and fit a 4-piston brake upgrade kit with 305mm vented front discs and Alfa Mito Cloverleaf front callipers (Again, this can be easily returned to standard spec simply by bolting parts on and off).
6. Removal & strip down of gearbox and rebuilding with new inner & outer synchromesh rings on 1st to 4th gears and replacement oil seals.
7. Draining of fuel tank, re-hosing the fuel system and fitting a new fuel filter on the inner wing for easy replacement.
Following this work Mr. Allen continued to carry out routine maintenance himself, being a skilled enginner by trade with regular servicing etc documented. Despite a 9 year long ownership however, he has only added around 6000 miles to the total mileage. This forms a large part of the reason she is for sale with us today, as forming part of a growing collection of cars Mr. Allen feels that he has had his fun with the car and it is time to move on to something else, giving a lucky person the chance to own this very significant part of Alfa Romeo history. Being the stickler for engineering detail that he is Mr. Allen decided to carry out some significant pre-sale preparation work, so this GTV6 is ready to just jump in and drive. The work just completed in April 2019 is:
1. New cam belt & conversion to mechanical cam belt tensioner.
2. Oil & filter service.
3. New oil pressure sender.
She comes with a huge 2.5 inch thick A4 history file, documenting all works since 1999, carried out in the UK, all the import papers, customs documents, the last South African MOT, and copies of the old ownership papers. In 2013 she was a cover feature car along with 2 other AJM GTV6’s (my own 3.5 included) in Auto Italia Magazine, a copy of this is also in the file (see photos). In addition to this she comes with several boxes of spare parts, including the previously mentioned orginal suspension components, the original camshafts and even a very rare complete set of 6 spare Dellorto carburettors.
This is a a very rare chance to get such a rare and well sorted genuine 3.0 GTV6, having had all the usual issues on South African import cars sorted out during her time in the UK. Viewing is welcome, please call Alex on 01243 575760